1) the author has never gone without a paycheck and
2) the advice is wrong.
Here are my credentials:
- I’ve been flat-out fired three times - never for incompetence but usually with malice,
- I’ve been laid-off or had the company where I was working go out of business twice.
- I’ve taken a buyout once.
- I held one job for the first 20 years of my working life and 20 jobs over the next 20.
- I’ve spent at least 9 years unemployed (or as we call it in my business - “freelancing”)
- I’ve gotten Unemployment Insurance from three states.
- I had to pawn my wife’s wedding ring once just to get through the week.
- I’ve put two girls through private schools and good colleges.
- I have fed, clothed and sheltered my family at all times
- I have a Credit Score somewhere over 700.
- I have four credit cards, an IRA and life insurance
- I have paid every debt - eventually.
- I’ve paid all my taxes - eventually.
- I’ve loaned money to friends who were even worse off and
- donated something to charity every year.